Monument Detail

 

 

The center panel rises 8 feet by 4 feet wide.  The panel features an etched regimental print above an engraved brief history of each of the five eras of our Regiment. The back side has the names of the awards, decorations and citations presented to elements of the Regiment.
The history of each era is told on the five satellite panels, in narratives and graphics etched on one side of its guidon and on plaques and graphics on both sides of the pedestals. The satellite pedestals are 5 feet high, topped with regulation size guidons.

 

 

 

The Horse Cavalry Pedestal honors troopers who served from 1901 to 1943.  Etched photos stir the imagination as troopers ride to their duty.

 

 

 

 

 

Mechanized Cavalry – From capturing the Remagen bridge on the Rhine, to fighting on Leyte Island in the Philippines and the Okinawa Ryukyu Islands in the Pacific, the Regiment’s contributions to victory in WW II are a significant part of its legacy.

 

 

 

 

 

Reconstituted as the 14th Constabulary Regiment in Germany, the unit conducted security, control and border operations from 1946-48.

 

 

 

 

In 1948, and through 1972, the newly-designated 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment assumed responsibility to conduct border surveillance and prepare for a defensive screen and delay operation in the historic East to West invasion route known as the Fulda Gap.

 

 

 

 

 

The regiments colors were retired in 1972.  They were unfurled again in 2000 when the 14th Cavalry Regiment was reorganized into four Stryker Squadrons, each a part of a Brigade Combat Team. Three deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times to perform reconnaissance and security combat missions in the Post 9-11 Global War on Terrorism.