The Regiment's service during the Cold War is honored by two memorials
in Germany. The first of these was unveiled in Fulda on 24 July 1998.
It stands in the former Downs Barracks on the green between the parade
ground and the building that housed the Regimental Headquarters from 1956
to 1972.. This memorial bears a large replica of the regimental crest
and a plaque that reads as follows:
STOOD GUARD AT THE IRON CURTAIN
FROM 1949 TO 1972.
WITH SQUADRONS IN FULDA
BAD KISSINGEN AND BAD HERSFELD
IT MAINTAINED CONSTANT READINESS
TO MEET AN ATTACK FROM THE EAST.
ITS SOLDIERS WERE AN EMBODIMENT
OF THEIR NATION'S COMMITMENT
TO FREEDOM IN EUROPE.
An article describing the unveiling ceremony is attached and a number of photographs are posted..
The second memorial was unveiled on 14 May 2000 at the former location
of OP Alpha on the border about 20 miles northeast of Fulda. OP Alpha
is now the site of a museum and is probably the most most prominent of
all the memorial sites in Germany now dedicated to preserving the history
of Cold War border operations. The plaque at this site honors both
the 14th and 11th Armored Cavalry Regiments:
14th ARMORED CAVALRY REGIMENT
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE DEFENSE OF LIBERTY AND
SUIVEZ MOI ALLONS
1951 - 1972
1972 - 1989
LTG(R) John Ballantyne spoke for us at the unveiling ceremony.
As a Lieutenant he commanded Company A in 1959. He returned in 1975
to command the 11th ACR. The ceremony was attended veterans of both
regiments and by German dignitaries including the Deputy Minister of Defense
and the Vice Governors of both Hesse and Thuringia. The number of
speakers who participated in the ceremony allowed only a few minutes (including
translation time) for each one. A transcript of General Ballantyne's
remarks is attached.